the tragedy of child sex trafficking
- Human trafficking is a US$150 billion industry.¹
- It is the world’s fastest growing criminal enterprise.²
- Of the 40 million victims worldwide, 10 million are children.³
- One million children are victims of sexual exploitation.³
- Since 2007 the National Human trafficking hotline
- Received 22,191 sex trafficking cases inside the U.S.
- The number is increasing with an average of 100 cases per day.⁴
- California has the highest number of calls of any state.⁶
- 1 out of 6 endangered runaways were likely sex trafficking victims.⁵
- It is estimated in the U.S. 100,000 – 300,000 children are vulnerable to being trafficked.⁴
Notes: 1 Global Slavery Index 2016, “Global Findings,“ http://www.globalslaveryindex.org/findings/. 2 Human Trafficking, State of California Department of Justice Office of the Attorney General https://oag.ca.gov/human-trafficking. 3 Global Estimates of Modern Slavery. International Labour Organization. http://www.ilo.org/global/publications/books/WCMS_575479/lang--en/index.htm. 4 The Facts, 2016, Polaris, http://polarisproject.org/human-trafficking/facts. 5 Child Sex Trafficking, National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, 2016, http://www.missingkids.org/1in6. 6 Hotline Statistics, https://humantraffickinghotline.org/states.